Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The main ideas of chapter 5 are how users develop a social networking profile that shares a picture, personal and professional information and so on.  Brands have three main ways to utilize social communities.  They are social ads, interactive application and user generated contest campaigns, and and encourage people on brands. 
The strengths of this chapter was the marketing applications in the social community zone.  The book discussed paid media in social networks, earned media and brand engagement, user-generated content campaigns, and how the brand is ready for social relationships.  I thought this was a strong point because of how in-depth the book went for each of these segments.  The weaknesses were that they stuff was broken into too many pieces.  Some of it could have consolidated a little more.  
A few terms that I were not familiar with from this chapter are virtual goods.  Virtual goods are something that consumers buy in large quantities and continue to spend more of their time in an online world rather than in the physical world.  Vertical networks is a new word for me.  This is when some sites are designed around object sociality or the ability of an object to inspire social networking.  Identity portability is another word that I am not familiar with.  This is when a single profile would provide access across social networking sites with a single login and shared information.  Earned reach is gained when people share positive brand opinions using word of mouth communication.  A gallery is is when others can view and pass the content on to their respective networks. 
I don’t think that social media should own personal social data but some people don’t think twice about what they share with the world through social media.  You have to use your best judgement when it comes to sharing private information.  
I think depending on the professor, I might add them on Facebook.  I don’t see a problem with being Dr. Y’s Facebook friend but a teacher who barely knows my name or doesn’t seem to care too much, I’m not going to add on Facebook.  It’s just like anything else, it depends on the person.  
I don’t think that Facebook friends are real friends.  There’s no way to really be friends with however many people I’m “friends” with on Facebook.  You have to have a relationship to be friends, it doesn’t just happen because you think someone is nice. I do, however, think Facebook fans are real.  I follow many singing groups and celebrities and people keep up through that.  You can find out when they’ll be where and what’s going on in their world.  
I visited Nikes Facebook.  I thought that they had a great page.  I even found out about a new app that they have to help you keep track of your runs and workouts through their app.  They advertised it so well on the Facebook page that I might download it for myself.  They have 1 million users for the app which is crazy.  I do wish they showed a little more apparel or shoes that are new and maybe a little better image.  

I really liked this chapter.  I learned many new terms that I can use at a future place of employment and I love learning about social media because it is such a rising and booming industry that many adults don’t know how to incorporate into their businesses and I think our generation has a promising career in that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment